Dragon Boat Racing Events in London
We have two dragon boats and they provide one of the most popular team building and charity events we do for all ages. Great for school trips and great for corporate team building.
- A typical Dragon Boat Events day starts with full health & safety briefing and shoreside training for each team by their instructor before being allowed access to the boats. The emphasis on the day is very much about team building and competition, with each team getting guaranteed time (weather permitting or unless otherwise specified) on the water racing and having fun.
- The boats we use are 10-seaters with a drummer, and each dragon boat will be helmed by one of our professional staff.
- Dragon boating days are great for charity events and with boat-on-boat competition a large number of participants can be catered for in a day.
- The day finishes with an award ceremony where a winner’s trophy is presented to the captain of the top team
There is somethng magical every time these boats are on the water! Please give us a call to find out more.
History of Dragon Boat Racing
- With Chinese origins, dragon boat racing has been traced back more than 2000 years. The first participants were Chinese villagers who celebrated the 5th day of the 5th lunar month of the Chinese calendar. Racing was held to worship the dragon and avert misfortune and encourage the rains needed for prosperity. The dragon is a symbol of water and it is said to rule the rivers and seas and dominate the clouds and rains.
- Today dragon boat racing involves teams of paddlers in boats with a drummer and helm, paddling frantically to beat the other teams down the course. The drums, shouting and colourful boats make it an impressive and exciting sport both to watch and to compete in. In the UK it is one of the largest sports and often used as a means for charity fundraising event.